It is widely recognised that 11 is not a good age of transfer for boys to move on to secondary education; developmentally, boys are better suited to moving to senior school at age 13. At Lochinver we are able to provide a wonderful education for all boys and the last two years, from 11 – 13 are when they achieve the most. The extra two years in a top class Preparatory School really can make a difference.
Lochinver has experience of helping boys who join us at 11 to gain entry to their chosen school at age 13. In recent years, boys who joined Lochinver at age 11 have gained places at Haberdashers’ Aske’s, St. Albans, Mill Hill, St Columba’s, Haileybury and Aldenham at age 13. Their joy in this achievement is matched by ours. We are firmly committed to enabling boys to achieve their full potential at this crucial stage in their lives.
Boys at Lochinver work towards the Common Entrance 13+ examinations following the Common Entrance syllabus. There are large overlaps between this and the National Curriculum. In addition to this they will have studied French and Latin from from Year 4. If your son has not studied Latin it is highly unlikely that he will begin the subject when he joins Lochinver. This will not affect his chances of gaining a place at any senior school as Latin is an optional subject for 13+ entry. If your son has not studied French before, some extra sessions of French will be on his timetable.
When the boys move to Year 7 we divide a year group of around forty boys from two classes into three which means that your son will be in a class of between 10 – 15 boys. This helps us to give him all the preparation he needs to pass his entrance exams at 13+.
A new school means a new beginning. Effectively your son is now at secondary school and will follow the Key Stage 3 Programme of Study at the same time as preparing for the entrance exam to the school of his choice.
In addition to excellent teaching from experienced specialist teachers your son will enjoy:
- A structured House and Pastoral System with tutorial sessions on Study skills, Citizenship, Anti-Bullying and an extensive Anti-Drugs Programme
- Outdoor Pursuit activities in Year 7 and a trip to the Ardeche in Year 8 (subsidised by the school)
- A wide range of After School Activities from Cookery to Tae Kwondo
- The opportunity to be a part of the South African Rugby Tour incorporating fundraising for the Sethani Charity
- The opportunity to be part of the Classics Trip to Italy
- Annual Ski Trips to either Austria, Italy or France
- Musical opportunities to play in a variety of ensembles, bands and orchestras and the opportunity to sing in the school choir
- A visit to Burgundy in Year 8 to sample all aspects of French life
If you decide that Lochinver offers the opportunities for your son that you would like to investigate, do get in touch with us by telephoning 01707 620036 or emailing the Registrar, Mrs Anne Meir.
The Headmaster is always very willing to discuss your son’s needs and would love to meet you to show you around our school.
RT @LHSPrep: Pre Prep Science Club has been investigating density today and have made their very own lava lamp - very impressive boys! http...